11/8/07

Starbucks

I'm sitting in Starbucks right now. It is 10:37 in the morning on a Thursday. There are a lot of people here.

Across from me there is a young man with three or four rings on his hands. He's drinking something hot and studying for one of his classes. He steps outside for a smoke every now and then.

Next to him are two women and a little boy. One is his Mom, the other might be his aunt. They each have a hot drink, lattes I think. They got him a little hot chocolate. I think he's asleep now.

Next to them are some abandoned newspapers left by the gentleman who isn't sitting there any more.

On my right there are three older people. Two gentlemen and a lady. They are looking at something on a laptop, but I can't tell what it is. It must be interesting though, they are looking really closely and talking and pointing.

Behind them are three women sitting at a table. Two came late. I can't tell what they are talking about, but all three are dressed very business like, but quite fashionable. They all have dangly earrings and bracelets and they are all wearing pointy heels. One ordered the pumpkin spice latte, and when she tasted it, she exclaimed “Oh my God, it tastes like pumpkin pie!” I guess she didn't expect it.

Behind me I hear a shuffling of newspapers. An older gentleman is sipping on his coffee and looking at the business section. Or is it sports. Maybe he's interested in lifestyles. I bet he's looking for someplace to take his wife tonight. It's probably their 30th anniversary or her birthday or something. I bet she's at work right now, and has no idea he's planning something for her. I bet he'll pick her up at work with a bouquet of 30 flowers. Or maybe he's just reading the headlines...

A large group just walked in. They are all wearing white shirts and black pants and black-and-white-striped aprons that come down below their knees. It looks like their boss is treating them to coffee for a job well done. He is in a black suit. They are probably caterers. They have that air of high-end food about them. One tab, he said. There are about 12 people there. One tab. There are five women and five women, plus the boss. Did I count right? One is standing in front of me waiting for his drink and looking at the CDs. His pants are Dickies. The girl in all black has a big, silver belt buckle that she keeps hooking her thumbs over. She's with one of the guys, they just put their arms around each other. They all have a little black book in the pocket of their aprons, some on the left, some on the right. Some of these guys seem really young, other seem very experienced. They are “heading back to the operation” the boss says. They have their “goodies” so it's time to go. Just like that they leave, and it's somewhat quiet again.

The store is already decorated like Christmas here. They have a wreath in the window. All of their Christmas themed merchandise is on the shelves, red, green, white, snow flaked, candy-caned. The CD rack holds Christmas albums by Josh Groban and other names that I don't recognize.

My ice water is sweating on the table beside me. My coffee is not quite warm anymore.

I just heard the older people beside me mention Southern. One is talking about colleges in the area. I'm wondering what they are talking about. The couple doesn't seem too old. It looks like they are wanting to buy something. Property, houses. I don't know. They have a couple of maps out. I guess they are leaving now. Going to look at something or another.

The place seems empty now. But it's really not. I'm just here alone.

No comments: