6/20/07

Grandma's House

I was thinking recently about my Grandmas' houses. Grandma Cheney and Grandma Tremper. Both houses were the stage for many good times when I was growing up. Both houses hold many memories, some wonderful, and some not to wonderful. I've decided to share some of those memories in a blog series fittingly titled, "Grandma's House."

For my introductory post, I'd like to set the stage. First, Grandma Tremper's house.

Grandma T lives in Durham, ME, on a little side road that used to be dirt. She has a long, tree-shadowed, dirt driveway that grows grass in the middle. When you drive in, the first thing you see is the house. Next to the house is my Aunt and Uncle's old house. Further around to the left is the old shed/barn/garage. Next to that is the light pole, and then the lean-to, the old gas pump, and finally our play-house.

I'll tell more about inside the house in later posts.


Grandma C lived in Lyme, NH, on a windy dirt road with no speed limit and no guard rails. Her driveway was long, covered in chipped rock, and lined with irises and fiddleheads. There was a shop/garage half-way up the driveway on the right that housed the old work jeep and various other things. At the very top of the driveway was a little, tiny playhouse no bigger than a phone booth. Finally, there was the parking area and the front lawn. The house was a split-level, raised ranch with a long porch on one side. A brook ran beside the house, with a pipe going from the water to the house and a log acting as a bridge over it. Behind the house was the big lawn, the clothes-line, and further back was the big play-house.

Again, I'll share more about inside later.

These houses were favorite places when I was growing up. Going to visit either Grandma meant seeing family, eating lots of food, playing to our hearts content, and of course, getting spoiled.

I miss these houses so much now that I'm older. Grandma C has moved, and Grandma T visits with family at my Aunt's house now. But the memories from these houses are so precious. I don't want to forget anything, which is why I'm going to write down as much as I can. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane as much as I will.

Stay tuned!

No comments: