1/3/05

Matthew 25:34-40

"Then then King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
35. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
36. I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.

37. "Then the righteous will answer him,
'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you something to drink?
38. When did we see you a stranger and invite you in,
or needing clothes and clothe you?
39. When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40. "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Whatever you do for the least of these....

We are currently reading about all the effort put into the areas hit by the earthquake and tsunamis. Many people have reached out and done what they can to help the people affected. Some have donated supplies, some have donated money, and some are right there, in the thick of things, helping where they can.

I know God is crying over the lost lives, but I also know He is rejoicing over the efforts everyone is putting in to help those who have survived.

Not everyone is in a position to donate money, or to send supplies, or to work in the areas. But everyone is able to pray. I ask that we all take a moment or two out of our days to say a prayer for the people who are suffering so many losses, who lost homes, family members, livelihoods. For the people who are searching continually for more survivors and missing people. And for the people who are working with those who have been found, who are in need of medical care, who are unable to care for themselves now.

I can't even begin to imagine losing my family, or my friends, to something like this. But that earthquake could have just as easily hit off our coastline.

Whatever you do for the least of these, you have done unto Me.

Something to think about.

No comments: